These are not just any vegan cookies, these are apple cinnamon sugar cookies.
– 1 1/4 cup flour
– 1/2 cup sugar
– Pinch baking soda
– 1/2 cup vegan butter (look for cheap brands like 99p sunflower spread vitalite)
– 2 tablespoons apple juice/water
– 1 teapsoon vanilla extract
– 1 apple
– 1 cup icing sugar
– three tablespoons apple juice
1. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add vanilla essence. Slowly sieve in the flour, along with the baking soda. Start to beat the mixture and add a tablespoon of apple juice at a time until the dough is soft but stiff: two is normally enough.
2. Roll cookie dough onto baking paper until it is the thickness of a one pound coin. Cut circles into the dough using a small glass (or proper cookie cutters if you use something other than a student kitchen)
3. Cook at 200 degrees, for about 10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Leave to cool.
4. While the cookies cool, prepare the icing sugar by mixing it with three tablespoons of apple juice, adding more juice or icing sugar until the consistency is spreadable but not runny. Spread the icing onto the cookies evenly and, as it sets, embed thin slithers of apple into the icing. Add a generous sprinkling of cinnamon on top as the icing sets and voila!